Tuesday, May 07, 2013

The Real Annaly Bay

I discovered recently that the tide pools I visited back in 2008 (see this post) were not in Annaly Bay but in nearby Wills Bay.  (click on photo to enlarge)
I, and others I’ve spoken with, had been under the impression that the Trumbull Trail which begins behind the Carambola Resort, led to Annaly Bay, because when people mention “the tide pools” there is the automatic assumption that tide pools means Annaly Bay.  In fact, I learned that there are a number of tide pools along the northwest corner of St. Croix, with Annaly Bay being the best known.  Since learning about my misconception, I’ve been eager to go see the real Annaly Bay, and when the St. Croix Hiking Association led a hike last month to Annaly Bay, I jumped on the opportunity to go.
We met Olasee Davis, our guide, in Frederiksted and car pooled in pickup trucks up to the top of the ridge overlooking Annaly Bay. A 4-wheel drive vehicle is a must for those who come by car.
From the top of this ridge at about 700 feet above sea level, we hiked down a steep dirt road into the bay.  This hike is relatively short but the return uphill is strenuous!
Arriving at Annaly Bay we see St. Croix’s north Shore to the East
And the Maroons and Ham’s Bluff to the West.
Hiking around the rocky shoreline is a must to get to the tide pools.
A dip in the natural tide pools makes the effort worthwhile.

Under rough seas, these tide pools have proved treacherous for swimmers.
We had calm waters
And spectacular views.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this posting. Ive been to the Wills Bay tide pools a few times, now I have somewhere new to look forward to!

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home