Sunday, January 07, 2007

Of Noise and Crowds

Belatedly I got into the Festival spirit with thoughts of possibly going to the Adult Parade and taking pictures, but then work responsibilities got in the way and I was busy all day on Saturday getting the villa ready for new guests and there was no time to party. I wasn't too heartbroken about it, in the same vein that I was never upset about missing New Year's Eve in New York City's Times Square when I lived 20 minutes away.

Noteworthy events though these may be, I've just never been attracted to places full of noise and crowds. For this reason, whenever Bob and I travel, we schedule as little time as possible in big cities, and gravitate towards remote locations. It's also actually one of the main reasons that I so enjoy living here on St. Croix.

Barring the din of the Christmas Festival, there's enough going on here to keep you busy and interested, but not so much as to numb the senses. There is one "highway" here that's 7 miles long. Everywhere else on island, speed limit is about 35 m.p.h. or less. There are no high rises, no Starbucks, no Barnes & Nobles, no mega shopping centers. Our biggest department store is Kmart. This place is quiet and unhurried, and that's about the speed I want to enjoy my life.

So I missed the Festival this year, but here's a gallery of photos taken by a local photographer. This gallery is last year's parade, but you get the idea.
http://homeland.smugmug.com/gallery/1182409

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never went to Carnival on St. Thomas...just don't like crowds. We'd watch it on TV instead.

12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home