Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Switching Gears

I am now preparing for my next art exhibit, this time at the St. George Botanical Garden here in St. Croix on March 9-11. For this exhibit I am working on two small quilts about ferns and agave plants. This is a change from the sea life theme that's been my focus thus far. However, plants are not an entirely new subject. Here's a closeup of my first art quilt, "A Walk in the Woods":

But switching gears this time has proven more challenging than I've expected. There's a freedom of expression that I find working with sea life that I have yet to find with plant life. I know it's there, beneath the surface, but my movements thus far when working with the fabrics/colors/composition still feel rigid, almost clumsy. Maybe it's simply a matter of time, like getting reacquainted with an old friend you haven't seen in a while. I plan to spend the rest of the week at the studio lost in the world of ferns and succulents, and I know that my love for these wonderful plants will help me to find the flow again.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home