Sunday, May 13, 2007

Connected to Quiltart

Recently I stumbled into a site (www.quiltart.com) that offered a mailing list forum for art quilters. It sounded good so I signed up. What ensued was an avalanche of emails carrying a variety of information about quilting techniques and materials, deadlines for entering juried shows, how to transition quilting from hobby to business, celebratory notices about work completed, angst-ridden missives describing rough patches, encouragements, congratulations, heated discussions on the nature of art quilts: is it art?

I was overwhelmed and overjoyed. So much information to process, and yet, here is a community addressing the very issues I think about on my own. Denise (wildthreadstudio.blogspot.com/), a member of Quiltart, encapsulated this world of art quilting best when she wrote: "I think we are on the cusp of a very exciting time in the art world. The attraction of art quilts extends to people of all ages, genders and socio-economic backgrounds. Both a 73 yr old retired truck driver & a 22 yr old college student are equally fascinated with this art form. Lucky, lucky us...."

I sent out an email introducing myself to the forum and received a warm welcome. And now, for the first time in my quilting life, I feel connected.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Denise Aumick said...

The stimulation and information in quiltart.net is intoxicating, isn't it? Your musings on this circle of art quilters is wonderful. Thank you for including a nod to me.
Now, what is that date we all coming en mass to visit you in your paradise? ha, ha, ha....
Denise

10:08 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

Hi Jamila,

I've been meaning to connect for a few weeks now regarding the villa, but then I found your blog and realized I needed to link with you there as well. My wife and I are massage therapists on St. Croix and are friends with Amanda and Carston. I believe Amanda was going to bring you some of our material. Please take a look at our site Ambrosia Body Care and blog Livin' on St. Croix. We'd be interested in swapping blog links and website links for the business. I've already listed the villa in our Partners in Paradise directory, but can edit it to suit the owners.

Hope to hear from you.

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home