Thursday, April 05, 2007

Ready for Maufe

Tonight is the opening reception for my first solo exhibit at Maufe Gallery, located in downtown Christiansted. The reception is part of a monthly event called Art Thursday, where you can walk through historic downtown visiting the art galleries and meeting the artists.

The Gallery is ready. Bob and I spent Tuesday afternoon hanging 14 quilts, ranging in size from 9"X12" to 72"X62". When everything was hung, I stood back and looked at the walls full of my work, and I had two thoughts. One: it's been one busy season! Two: here it is, one dream come true. This last thought made me smile. I've been working towards this moment for a very, very long time. Not just the time it took to make the quilts, but the years it took for me to sort myself out until I could call myself an artist.

And here's how I'm spending my time between now and the reception this afternoon: I'm cooking and blogging. Today is simply the perfect day to enjoy the three things that I love best: writing, quilting and cooking. Therese, the gallery owner, is providing wine and cheese and fruit for the reception. But I always cook for my own parties, so it was unthinkable for me not to cook for my own reception. So I'm bringing the sweets: brownies, lemon squares and cranberry-pineapple squares.

The bougainvillea are in full bloom and I plan to make a little bouquet for the table. And I'm bringing the music I quilt to: The sweet saxophone of Paul Desmond, the sultry sounds of Bossa Nova and some French lounge music. And lastly, I'll bring a bottle of Champaign to toast to a dream come true.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jamila, We're all anxiously awaiting your thoughts on your gallery showing. How was it? Let us know soon 'cuz I'm turning blue holding my breath! ha,ha! Hoping it was a smashing success.

12:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Jamila!
You have made it. I am so very happy for you and I wish you continued success. BY the way,can you send me the recipe for the lemon squares?

Thanks,

Maria Rhine.

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog and enjoying it very much. I went to Maufe's Gallary last week to view your quilts and fell in love with them and the idea of quilt art. I have just finished a large quilt to take back home to my granddaughter on her 20th birthday. Since that project is finished, I will also shop for material to see what I can come up with in the way of a "quilt art" piece. My husband and I have lived on St. Croix for 3 1/2 years. I do miss having my regular sources of craft and material supplies I had back home in Illinois.

Thanks for opening up a new interest for me.

Ann Brousil
Christiansted

12:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well?!? Tell us all about it. We're on the edge of our seats!

Congratulations, Jamila ... what a fantastic achievement this was! Bravo to you.

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home