Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Center for the Quilt Interview

When I introduced myself to the Quiltart community, Karen Musgrave emailed me to say that she was interested in interviewing me for Quilters'
S.O.S. - Save Our Stories, a project of The Alliance for American Quilts (www.centerforthequilt.org). Other than job interviews, I don't think that I've ever been interviewed before. I wholeheartedly said yes!

The interview took place via email over a handful of days, with Karen sending me one question at a time. This surprised me because I had expected a questionnaire, but Karen's approach was much better. It flowed like an in-person dialogue. I thought about each question and answered it thoroughly. Karen thought about my answer and shaped the next question from it.

Another surprise was discovering the strength of my opinions. When she asked me about color, design, etc., there was no pondering and trying to understand how I felt about these subjects. I delivered a prompt answer with conviction. Working on my own, I can see how I've spent a great deal of time thinking about these issues and forming an opinion, but without the benefit of community exchange, I've had no place to voice these opinions. Here's the full interview.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jamila, this was such a great interview! I really enjoyed it. And the picture was great ... really gives you a sense of the quilt's scale, with you standing next to it.

You are well on your way to a wonderful career as an art quilter, my friend. :-)

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home